Theater for the New City, Crystal Field, Executive Director
in association with
New York Butoh Institute
NEW YORK BUTOH INSTITUTE FESTIVAL 19
BUTOH. BOLD. WOMEN
$18 – $20
This October, in celebration of Butoh’s 60th Anniversary, the New York Butoh Institute Festival 2019 is proud to present bold butoh works by 16 female dancers from Japan, Columbia, Norway, Italy, Germany, France, and the U.S.
Curated by butoh artist Vangeline, the Festival will consist of an exciting program of butoh workshops and masterclasses, as well as seven nights of groundbreaking performances presented by Theater for the New City, taking place between October 17 and 27th, 2018.
Thanks to a loan from the Tatsumi Hijikata Archives and a Janet Arnold Award from the Society of Antiquaries of London, the Festival will showcase an exact replica of founder of Butoh Tatsumi Hijikata’s1968 iconic costume of Revolt of the Body. The Festival will close with a short film of Tatsumi Hijikata in his 1968 solo, and with a lecture with costume expert Todd Thomas, who recreated this legendary costume. Vangeline will wear the costume replica for the premiere of her new solo Hijikata Mon Amour.
WEEK 1: (JOHNSON SPACE)
Thursday, October 17, 2019, 8PM – 10PM:
- Salome Kokoladze (Georgia) in How to Breathe Like a predator;
- Katherine Adamenko (USA) in TRES CHIC: The Beauty Borg;
- Angela Newsham (USA) in Are We Listening;
- Madelyn Sher and Daniel Arthur Johnson (USA) in 396;
- Eri Chian (Osaka, Japan) in Mogari.
Friday, October 18, 2019, 8PM – 10PM:
- Melissa Lohman (Italy) in Vessel and Void
- Eri Chian (Osaka, Japan) in 殯 Mogari
- Sindy Butz (Germany) in Hildergardis
Saturday, October 19, 2019, 8PM – 10PM:
- Tove-Elena Nicolaysen (Chile/ Norway) with live music by Ingvild Andersgaard in The Human Construction
- Mari Osanai (Aomori, Japan) in Oblivion
Sunday, October 20, 2019, 3PM – 5PM:
- Yazmin Gonzales (USA) in Desire
- Margherita Tisato (Italy) in A thousand times and never before
- Brenda Polo (Colombia) in Unknown with live music by Nicole Tenorio Polo
WEEK 2: (JOHNSON SPACE)
Thursday, October 24
Friday, October 25
Saturday, October 26, 2019, 8PM – 09:15PM
Hijikata Mon Amour performed and choreographed by Vangeline
Vangeline wears an exact replica of the founder of Butoh Tatsumi Hijikata’s Iconic 1968 costume of Revolt of the Body (recreated by Todd Thomas).
Sunday, October 27, 3PM – 5PM – FREE ADMISSION:
A short film of Tatsumi Hijikata in Revolt of the Body and lecture by costume conservation expert Todd Thomas discussing the recreation process.No reservation needed.
This program was made possible by a 2019 Janet Arnold Award from the Society of Antiquaries of London and the Tatsumi Hijikata Archives, and is supported, in part, by the Colombian Ministry of Culture, public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council as well as the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. This program was also made possible in parts by the Colombian Ministry of Culture.