THEATER FOR THE NEW CITY’s Dream Up Festival 2019

By Theater for the New City
Directed by Michael Scott-Price
August 25 – September 15

THEATER FOR THE NEW CITY’s Dream Up Festival 2019

In 2010, the inaugural Dream Up Festival offered 25 shows consisting of 23 World Premieres and 2 American Premieres. The festival had reviewers from NY Times, NY Press, Showbusiness Weekly, the Advocate, NYTheatre.com and others.

Festival performance dates August 25 – September 15, 2019. All performances will take place at Theater for the New City.

SUBMISSION period is closed. Festival shows will be announced in July. Theater for the New City’s Festival website www.dreamupfestival.org will go under construction in June.

We prefer works that have gone unproduced in New York City, but we will consider an updated version of previously produced NYC production. To qualify for the festival, our goal is to have works by US and international artists as World or NYC premieres. Translations and new adaptations of known material will be acceptable.

The festival is available to both performance groups and individuals. Plays, dance theater, solo works, and interdisciplinary material will all be welcome so long as they can co-exist in repertory with other productions in the festival lineup. Technical requirements and the use of production effects will need to be limited. Scenic elements are welcome but one or more of these elements will have to be used in an inventive way.

ABOUT DREAM UP – TNC’s Summer Showcase

The motto of the festival is “Dream Up: Invent, Concoct.” The festival is dedicated to new works. The question of the artist’s vision to free or attack the material will be asked in each application. The festival does not want traditional theater which is presented in a traditional way. Theater for the New City wants to use this festival as a way to push ideas to the forefront with the hope of revealing roads less traveled or undiscovered. Presentation of a straightforward play must be imaginative in some way.

Participation Info:

Theater for the New City will present a lineup of wide-ranging and original theatrical visions embracing drama, poetry, music, and dance in the summer of 2019 from performing artists representing theater and performance companies in our theater complex in downtown New York.

Tickets prices can range from $12 to $20.

Festival artists receive 60% of their box office proceeds.  TNC retains the remaining 40%. All judged applicants will receive a position notice (accepted, waitlisted or not accepted) after their submissions are read. Acceptances will be emailed on or about May 24, 2019. Artists who are accepted will be required to submit participation documents by about June 12, 2019. A non-refundable $575 the participation fee will be required, in the form of a certified check, cashier’s check or money order or online payment for participating productions. No personal or company checks will be accepted. Pay participation fee here Link https://theaterforthenewcity.net/?p=1157

Final Deadline to apply is May 10. US and International artists welcome to apply.

For general inquiries: please contact us at literary@theaterforthenewcity.net