Theater for the New City was founded in 1970 by Crystal Field, George Bartenieff, Larry Kornfeld and Theo Barnes.
Now in its 53rd year, Theater for The New City is dedicated to producing established and emerging playwrights and to presenting the work of small developmental theater companies, all of whom experiment with new forms; and to expand theater accessibility and enhance the cultural dialogue though our Community Programs. Our core values guide us to:
- Embody the vision of a center for innovative theater arts that is truly accessible to the community and its artists.
- Discover relevant new writing and to nurture new playwrights.
- Facilitate a bridge between playwright, experimental theater artist, and community.
- Create spaces where new vision can breathe and be nourished by a working process not subject to commercial constraints.
- Design systems which bring theater into the community and bring the community into the theater.
- Engage underserved youth in theater arts in order to focus their energies on creativity and empowerment.